This program includes five 1-hour group puppy classes.
This course is for puppies under 4 months of age; dogs over 4 months of age can start with a level one obedience class.
Start your puppy off right in a completely off-leash puppy class designed to introduce the foundations of obedience while ensuring your pup develops socially into a well-mannered dog. This course emphasizes teaching bite inhibition and helping owner’s problem solve other “problem” puppy behaviors like housetraining. In puppy kindergarten, your puppy will be rewarded primarily with PLAY!
We cover the AKC’s (American Kennel Club) STAR Puppy requirements in this class. From the ACK’s website:
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy is a program designed to get dog owners and their puppies off to a good start. The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program is an incentive program for loving dog owners who have taken the time to take their puppies through a basic training class.
The Benefits of Training
Training classes teach you how to best communicate with your puppy. Organized training classes also provide an opportunity for your dog to socialize with other dogs. In classes aimed at earning the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy distinction, you’ll be able to get information on all of your puppy-raising questions including housetraining, chewing, and the most effective way to teach practical skills such as coming when called. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training is a natural lead into the AKC® Canine Good Citizen® Program.
20 STEPS To Success: The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy® TEST
STAR = Socialization, Training, Activity, Responsibility
- Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
- Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
- Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
- Owner and puppy attend classes by an AKC approved CGC Evaluator
- Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
- Owner has obtained some form of ID for a puppy-collar tag, etc.
- Free of aggression toward people during class
- Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
- Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
- Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
- 11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS
- Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
- Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
- Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
- Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
- Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
- Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
- Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
- Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
- Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)